Tag Archives: John Gosden

‘Dettori effect’ eases pain for bookies after ‘punter friendly’ Ascot

Bookmakers could breathe a sigh of relief on Sunday after John Gosden’s heavily-backed Enable suffered defeat at the Qatar Prix De L’Arc at Longchamp, finishing the race in second place. Following five favourites winning at Ascot Racecourse on Saturday, William Hill revealed that it had amounted a seven-figure loss as a result, while Coral PR Executive Harry Aitkenhead described Saturday’s …

Read More »

Jeevan Jeyaratnam, Abelson Odds: Too Big to go Under?

Ascot

Two ‘titans’ of the sports betting industry in the UK – bet365 and Sky Bet – came under fire for refusing certain four-horse and all five-horse accumulators on Frankie Dettori’s rides for the final two days at Royal Ascot. However, restricting such bets came as little surprise to Jeevan Jeyaratnam, Head of Compilation at Abelson Odds, who believes – given …

Read More »

Alizeti comes ‘Together for the Tote’ through £150 million deal

The Alizeti consortium has secured the future of the Tote by striking a deal to purchase an initial 25% share of the pool betting operation, with an option to purchase the remaining 75%. The deal, said to be worth approximately £150 million, has been reached with Fred Done, the founder and CEO of Betfred who acquired the Tote from the …

Read More »

Arena Racing Company and British EBF to increase investment

Pontefract - Copyright: phil_bird / 123RF Stock Photo

An increase in investment and prize money is set to be felt, following the establishment of a new partnership between the Arena Racing Company (ARC) and the British arm of the European Breeders Fund (EBF). One such benefit is the creation of new races for two-year-olds at both the Newcastle and Great Yarmouth racecourses, with the latter, a £15,000 Class …

Read More »