Tag Archives: General Election

UK punters back Tory majority following Leaders’ debate

With the General Election looming, Boris Johnson’s Conservative Party has maintained the backing of UK punters, with betting exchanges showing that punters are favouring a Tory majority government. Tuesday’s leaders debate, which saw Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn go head-to-head on ITV, saw the two clash over topics such as Brexit and the NHS.  But with controversies over the Tory party …

Read More »

‘Fighting Finn’ launches casino affiliate website

poker - Copyright: studio3321 / 123RF Stock Photo

A former National Hockey League (NHL) enforcer has announced plans to launch a new casino affiliate website. Sami Helenius, formerly of Calgary Flames, Tampa Bay Lightning, Colorado Avalanche, Dallas Stars and Chicago Blackhawks, is to target Swedish casino enthusiasts with ‘Kasino Curt.’ Speaking about the aims of his new project, Helenius said:  “When it comes to online gambling, Sweden is a …

Read More »

Unibet predicts £100m General Election betting

Polls have become the main feature of this General Election, but the betting markets are also gaining more prominence than in previous elections. With more access to information than ever before, the public are also expected to make more informed decisions when it comes to placing their bets on who will be leading the country on 8th May, or at least …

Read More »

David Clifton: General Election increasing political pressure on FOBTs

Licensing expert David Clifton, of consultants Clifton Davies, has analysed what the political parties have to say about the betting shop’s main breadwinner and doesn’t like what he sees. Fixed Odds Betting Terminals have rarely been out of the news since they were first introduced into Britain’s betting shops. That is now thirteen years ago. Just a year after that, …

Read More »

Five ways to view the General Election from a punter’s eyes

Andy MacKenzie, Marketing Communications Manager for sports and financial betting company Spreadex – the only bookmaker to offer fixed odds and spread betting from one account, sees what markets are available for the political punter. For most people, the General Election on May 7th will be a case of considering important issues such as education, immigration, the NHS and austerity …

Read More »

Ladbrokes launches UK General Election micro-site

Ahead of the UK General Election vote on 7 May, Ladbrokes has announced the launch of special micro-site The Ladbrokes Lowdown – General Election 2015. The Ladbrokes General Election micro-site was launched this week in time for the first set of leader debates hosted by broadcaster ITV. The General Election micro-site has been developed by London digital development agency Grand …

Read More »

Government branded ‘bunch of tossers’ over machine regulations

Ahead of a General Election in which none of the parties have garnered popular support, Lord David Lispey has perhaps captured the mood of the nation by branding the Government ‘tossers’. Lord Lipsey has called the Government ‘a bunch of tossers’ for not implementing the Gaming Machine (Circumstances of Use) (Amendment) Regulations – which requires anyone playing with stakes above …

Read More »

Helen Grant MP – No timetable set for Betting Right

Asked about the agenda for the introduction of the UK Betting Right, minister for sport Helen Grant answered that “no timetable has been set for introducing the legislation”. Grant answered the question put forward by York Central MP Hugh Bayley, who wanted to know further information regarding the Betting Rights agenda and its potential benefits to York Racecourse. Grant issued …

Read More »

Lords debate restrictions on B2 Gaming Machines

Fixed odds betting terminals have been debated in the House of Lords, with the usual mix of hot air and in-depth analysis that has come to be frequently parodied of the UK’s second legislative house. The whole discussion has been kicked off by Lib Dem Peer Lord Strasburger, despite the fact he doesn’t appear to know what the existing stake …

Read More »

Scotland vote demonstrates the prediction power of betting markets

The Scottish referendum result marks the fifth time in a row that the Betfair Exchange has correctly predicted a significant political outcome as the NO vote confirmed what the Exchange had been pointing to for several months. Betfair had consistently called the NO vote as around an 80% chance to win, with the YES campaign around a 20%, despite opinion …

Read More »