Tag Archives: essa

ESSA reports 53 suspicious betting alerts during Q2 2017

International betting integrity body ESSA reported 53 cases of suspicious betting to the relevant authorities during the second quarter (Q2) of 2017; this was made up of 31 suspicious betting cases in tennis, followed by football with 15 cases, basketball five and one case each for handball and volleyball. ESSA Secretary General Khalid Ali commented on the update: “Betting integrity …

Read More »

ESSA pleased at attempts of international co-operation on integrity

Sportradar - Copyright: ronfromyork / 123RF Stock Photo

Sports betting integrity body ESSA has welcomed the regulatory interest in tackling match fixing via The Group of Copenhagen (Network of National Platforms), which held its 4th meeting in The Hague this week at the Department of Sport at the Dutch Ministry of Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport. ESSA Secretary General Khalid Ali said the organisation: welcomed the increased focus on betting …

Read More »

Board restructure sees GVC’s Heike Mayer succeed Mike O’Kane as ESSA Chair

Updating the market, International betting integrity body ESSA has elected a new Chairperson and expanded its board. FTSE listed GVC Holdings Heike Mayer succeeds outgoing ESSA Chair, Mike O’Kane, who has held the position since 2012. The ESSA board has also expanded to reflect its growing membership, with Betway’s Jon Russell and David Foster of Paddy Power Betfair strengthening the …

Read More »

#bofcon2017 – Joey Barton case puts the spotlight on betting integrity

betting - Copyright: radiantskies / 123RF Stock Photo

The Commercial Director at AFC Wimbledon said that it is “naïve” to think that players aren’t still placing bets via surrogate accounts, despite the FA’s efforts to implement a blanket betting ban. Speaking at Betting on Football 2017, Ivor Heller also promoted a return to the old system, whereby players can bet, but not in league or cup competitions in …

Read More »

ESSA – Tennis heads up suspicious betting activity for the ninth consecutive quarter

Updating the market, international betting integrity body ESSA reported 27 cases of suspicious betting to the relevant authorities during the first quarter (Q1) of 2017. The sport of tennis accounted for 45% of those alerts with 12 cases; the sport has now had the highest number of alerts in the last nine consecutive quarters. The remaining 55% of cases were split …

Read More »

German Bundestag strengthens sports integrity laws against match fixing

The German Bundestag (lower house of parliament) has strengthened the nation’s code on match-fixing and sports corruption by introducing new laws that make it a ‘crime to conspire to fix sporting events’. Passing its new regulations which set tougher sentences for individuals found guilty of attempting to unlawfully influence an event, Bundestag laws may hand out sentences of up to …

Read More »

Integrity Matters…BetStars joins ESSA membership body

International betting integrity body ESSA has been boosted by the addition of Amaya Inc online betting subsidiary BetStars to its increasing roster of members. The inclusion of BetStars, takes ESSA’s current membership to 25 regulated betting operators covering many of the leading international brands. Joining the programme, BetStars will work ESSA partners to help combat match-fixing cases and sports integrity …

Read More »

ESSA welcomes European Parliament report on the sports sector

Alderney - Copyright: wavebreakmediamicro / 123RF Stock Photo

ESSA has welcomed the European Parliament report which focuses on improving governance standards as a means of addressing key sports issues such as match-fixing. Drafted by Finnish MEP Hannu Takkula (ALDE), the parliament’s own-initiative report also promoted the development of a transparent culture within the sports sector. On match-fixing, the report highlights several mitigating actions, including enhanced international cooperation amongst …

Read More »

Tennis dominates ESSA 2016 ‘suspicious betting activity’ report

Issuing an industry note, international sports integrity body ESSA has revealed that a total of 131 cases of suspicious betting activity was recorded during 2016. Detailing its report, ESSA governance specified that 41 cases had been recorded during Q4 2016. Tennis dominated 2016 with 103 cases being reported to the Tennis Integrity Unit, followed by football with 16 cases reported to …

Read More »

888sport commits to ESSA integrity body

Entering 2017 European sports betting operator 888Sport has become the latest industry stakeholder to join betting integrity body ESSA. The 888 Holdings sports betting subsidiary will work with ESSA governance to further protect industry consumers from betting fraud and further help fight betting-related corruption in sport. ESSA governance was pleased to welcome a further high profile bookmaker to its ranks. …

Read More »